MBChB (NZ), FRACP (Australia), FRCP (Edin), FESC
Consultant Department of Cardiology, NUHCS
Assistant Professor Department of Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
Assistant Professor William Kok-Fai Kong graduated from the Auckland University, New Zealand with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) in 2002. He completed advanced specialist training in Cardiology in Christchurch Hospital and Wellington Hospital in New Zealand. He was admitted as a fellow of Royal Australasian College of Physician (FRACP) in Cardiology in 2011.
He obtained the Academic Medicine Development Award (AMDA) in 2014 to undergo subspecialty training in interventional echocardiography, structural heart disease/ valvular heart disease in Leiden University Medical Centre in the Netherlands under the supervision of Dr Victoria Delgado and Professor Jeroen J Bax, the current president of European Society of Cardiology (ESC). He is also undergoing PhD study at the Leiden University Medical Centre (LUMC) at Leiden, the Netherlands examining the epidemiology, clinical, genetics and imaging aspects of bicuspid aortic valve and aortopathy.
He was subsequently elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh) and Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology in 2017. He was appointed as Specialty Editor in Cardiology for Singapore Medical Journal since 2016.
Currently, he is running a weekly Valve Clinic in NUH and to provide transesopahgeal echocardiography and stress echocardiography in Ng Teng Fong General Hospital. He is actively involved in the management of patients with valvular heart diseases/ structural heart disease. He is also a member of the Heart Team providing echocardiographic assessment/support for transcatheter therapies for patients who deemed high risk for surgery.
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS & COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS
1. Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physician (FRACP)
2. Fellow of European Society of Cardiology (FESC)
3. Fellow of Royal College of Physician (Edinburgh)
4. Specialty Editor (Cardiology), Singapore Medical Journal
5. Assistant Professor, Yong Loo Lin Medical School, National University of Singapore
- 3D/4D Transesophageal Echocardiography
- Interventional Echocardiography
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Aortopathy
- Computed Tomography Coronary Angiogram
- European Society of Cardiology congress 2015 in London- Best Poster Award
- NUHS Quality Improvement Project / Rapid Improvement Event Awards- Merit Award Jan-April 2015
- Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Asia Pacific 2014- Best Abstract Award (moderated poster category)
- Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics Asia Pacific 2014- Best Abstract Award (oral presentation category)
- Academic Medicine Development Award (AMDA) in 2014
1. Procedural and Clinical Outcomes in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement for Bicuspid Versus Tricuspid Aortic Valve Stenosis. Yoon SH, Bleiziffer S, De Backer O, Delgado V, Kong WK, Tay E, Park SJ, Colombo A, Latib A, Kodali SK, Bax JJ, Søndergaard L, Webb JG, Lefèvre T, Leon MB, Makkar R et al. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017 Mar 15. pii: S0735-1097(17)36041-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2017.03.017. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Mitral valve repair for secondary mitral regurgitation in non-ischaemic dilated cardiomyopathy is associated with left ventricular reverse remodelling and increase of forward flow. Kamperidis V, van Wijngaarden SE, van Rosendael PJ, Kong WK, Regeer MV, van der Kley F, Sianos G, Ajmone Marsan N, Bax JJ, Delgado V. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Feb 23. doi: 10.1093/ehjci/jex011. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Sex Differences in Phenotypes of Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Aortopathy: Insights From a Large Multicenter, International Registry. Kong WK, Regeer MV, Ng AC, McCormack L, Poh KK, Yeo TC, Shanks M, Parent S, Enache R, Popescu BA, Yip JW, Ma L, Kamperidis V, van der Velde ET, Mertens B, Ajmone Marsan N, Delgado V, Bax JJ. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017 Mar;10(3). pii: e005155. doi: 10.1161/CIRCIMAGING.116.005155.
4. Integrated imaging of echocardiography and computed tomography to grade mitral regurgitation severity in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. van Rosendael PJ, van Wijngaarden SE, Kamperidis V, Kong WK, Leung M, Ajmone Marsan N, Delgado V, Bax JJ. Eur Heart J. 2017 Jan 10. pii: ehw612. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehw612. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Prognostic Implications of Raphe in Bicuspid Aortic Valve Anatomy. Kong WK, Delgado V, Poh KK, Regeer MV, Ng AC, McCormack L, Yeo TC, Shanks M, Parent S, Enache R, Popescu BA, Liang M, Yip JW, Ma LC, Kamperidis V, van Rosendael PJ, van der Velde ET, Ajmone Marsan N, Bax JJ. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Mar 1;2(3):285-292. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2016.5228.
6. Computed tomography for planning transcatheter tricuspid valve therapy. Van Rosendael PJ, Kamperidis V, Kong WK, van Rosendael AR, van der Kley F, Ajmone Marsan N, Delgado V, Bax JJ. Eur Heart J. 2016 Nov 2. pii: ehw499. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement with Early - and New-Generation Devices in Bicuspid Aortic Valve Stenosis. Yoon SH, Tay E, Kong WK, Hon J, Delgado V, Bax JJ, Tamburino C, Colombo A, Sondergaard L, Webb JG, Park SJ et al. J AM Coll Cardiol. 2016 Sep 13; 68(11): 1195-205. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2016.06.041.
8. Comparison of Quantity of Calcific Deposits by Multidetector Computed Tomography in the Aortic Valve and Coronary Arteries. Philippe J. van Rosendael, Vasileios Kamperidis, Kong WK, Alexander R. van Rosendael, Nina Ajmone Marsan, Jeroen J. Bax, Victoria Delgado. Am J Cardiol. 2016 August 23.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.08.021[Epub ahead of print]
9. Mid-term study of transcatheter aortic valve implantation in an Asian population with severe aortic stenosis: two-year valve academic research consortium-2 outcomes. Chew N, Hon JK, Yip WL, Chan SP, Poh KK, Kong WK, Teoh KL, Yeo TC, Tan HC, Tay EL. Singapore Med J. 2016 Aug 12. doi: 10.11622/smedj.2016128. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Prevalence, clinical and echocardiographic characteristics of various flow and gradient patterns in mild or moderate aortic stenosis with normal left ventricular ejection fraction. Tan YQ, Ngiam JN, Kong WK, Yeo TC, Poh KK. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Oct 15; 221:1107-15. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.07.055. Epub 2016 Jul 5.
11. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation: from revolution to evolution. Tay EL, Poh KK, Yip JW, Kong WK. Singapore Med J. 2016 Jul; 57(7): 406-7. doi: 10.11622/smedj.2016122.
12. Impact of Different Iterations of Devices and Degree of Aortic Valve Calcium on Paravalvular Regurgitation After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Kong WK, van Rosendael PJ, van der Kley F, de Weger A, Kamperidis V, Regeer MV, Marsan NA, Bax JJ, Delgado V. Am J Cardiol. 2016 Aug 15; 118(4):567-71. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.05.053. Epub 2016 May 29.
13. Anaemia in patients with aortic stenosis: influence on long-term prognosis. Ng AC, Kong WK, Kamperidis V, Bertini M, Antoni ML, Leung DY, Marsan NA, Delgado V, Bax JJ. Eur J Heart Fail. 2015 Oct; 17(10): 1042-9. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.297. Epub 2015 June 4.
Back to Top