MB BCh BAO(Ireland), MMed(Surg)(S'pore), AFRCS(Ireland), FRCS (CTh), FAMS
Consultant Department of Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, NUHCS
Assistant Professor & Clinical Tutor Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
Assistant Professor Ooi Oon Cheong is presently a Consultant Surgeon with the Department of Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery at National University Heart Centre, Singapore. He is also a Clinical Tutor in the Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Ling School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. In addition, he serves as a Board Member of the Chapter of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore.
Asst. Prof. Ooi Oon Cheong graduated MBBCh from University College Cork, National University of Ireland, in 1995. He then completed his training in General Surgery in Galway, Ireland. He underwent sub-specialty training in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the National University Hospital, Singapore with further training at the London Chest Hospital, London, UK, and Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA, before returning to Singapore in 2006.
He is an Associate Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, and Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore.
Asst. Prof. Ooi's works have received various awards, including Health Manpower Development Program from Singapore Ministry of Health & National University Hospital, Excellent Service Award, Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education Scholarship, and The National Research Foundation - Ministry of Health Healthcare Research Scholarship for Clinical Investigation.
Asst. Prof Ooi's special interests are in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Heart Valve Replacement and Minimally Invasive Chest Surgery for Lung and Pleura.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Chest Surgery for Lung and Pleura
Specializes in Diseases and Conditions:
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Intra-atrial embolus trapped in patent foramen ovale before systemic embolization. Ooi OC, Woitek F, Chiew Wong RC, Lee CN, Klima U, Kofidis T. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Mar 24. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Stem cell transplantation: potential impact on heart failure. Ooi OC, Al Habib HF, Almsherqi ZA, El Oakley RM. Cell Tissue Bank. 2006;7(4):307-17. Epub 2006 Sep 6. Review.
- Anastomosis of small arteries: implications for coronary artery grafts in Asians. El Oakley RM, Lee CN, Ooi OC. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2006 Apr;14(2):164-5. Review.
- Myoblast transplantation on the beating heart. Sim EK, Haider HK, Aziz S, Ooi OC, Law PK. Int Surg. 2005 Jul-Aug;90(3):148-50.
- Pericardial suspension to prevent encroachment of emphysematous lungs in cardiac surgery. Ooi OC, Grignani R, Sim EK. J Card Surg. 2004 Mar-Apr;19(2):184-5. No abstract available.
For more publications, click here.
Back to Top