Associate Professor John Tam Kit Chung
BSc (Honors), MD, MSc, MEd, FRCSC (Thoracic Surgery)
Senior Consultant Department of Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, NUHCS
Head Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of CTVS, NUHCS
Associate Professor Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS
Associate Professor John Tam is the Founding Head of Thoracic Surgery and a Senior Consultant at the National University Heart Centre, Singapore. He is Associate Professor, with tenure, at the NUS School of Medicine.
A/Prof Tam is a Board-certified Thoracic Surgeon who performs the full spectrum of thoracic surgery. This includes all malignant and benign diseases in the lung, mediastinum, pleura, chest wall, and diaphragm. Common conditions are lung cancer, mediastinal tumor, pneumothorax, empyema, pleural effusion, chest trauma, chest wall tumor, and pectus excavatum.
A/Prof Tam specialises in minimally invasive single keyhole surgery using advanced Uniportal Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (UVATS) techniques. He is a world-pioneer and performed the first Uniportal VATS lobectomy on June 25, 2009. Since then, more than 500 patients have benefitted from this technique. UVATS are well liked by patients as they experience fast recovery and minimal discomfort following surgery.
A/Prof Tam received the Excellent Service Gold Awards by Spring Singapore in 2008 and 2009 in recognition of his "exemplary contribution and commitment to excellent service". He also received three consecutive NUS Faculty Teaching Excellence Award for his exemplary teaching and contributions to medical education from 2007 to 2010.
A/Prof Tam is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC). He was a Clinical Instructor at the Advance Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery Centre at the University of Pittsburgh in USA. Prior to that, he obtained the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree at University of Alberta and underwent Thoracic Surgery training at the University of Manitoba in Canada. He also holds the Master of Education, Master of Science, and Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry with First Class Honors and Dean's Silver Medal in Science from Canada.
Appointments can be made by calling Ms. Candice Yeo (Case Management Officer) at (65) 6772 6592 or emailing email@example.com.
General Thoracic Surgery
Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery
Specializes in Diseases and Conditions:
Tumors within the chest
Fluid or infection within the pleural cavity
Chest wall deformities or pectus excavatum
Treatment of end stage lung disease
Awards and Honours
- SPRING Singapore Excellent Service Gold Awards, 2008-2009
- NUHS Faculty Teaching Excellence Awards, 2007-2010
- Are medical students’ views of an ideal physician eroding? A study on perceived qualities of a “role model” doctor before and after housemanship and between two cohorts five years apart. Annals of Academy of Medicine, Singapore. Koh GCH, Tam J, Lee JNE, Agrawal N, Koh DR, Samarasekera D, Tan CH.
- Total Muscle Sparing Uniportal Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Lobectomy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2013;96(6):1982-6, Tam J & Lim KS.
- Massive pulmonary tuberculosis cavity misdiagnosed as pneumothorax. Respirology Case Reports 2013;1(2):23-25. Tam J & Lim KS.
- Anti-malarial drug Artesunate inhibits primary human cultured airway smooth muscle cell proliferation. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2014;50(2):451-458. Tan S, Ong B, Cheng C, Ho W, Tam J, Stewart AG, Harris T, Wong WSF & Tran T.
- Laminin drives survival signals to promote a contractile smooth muscle phenotype and airway hyperreactivity. FASEB J 2013;27(10):3991-4003. Tran T, Teoh CM, Tam J, Qiao Y, Chin CY, Chong OK, Stewart AG, Harris T, Wong WS, Guan SP, Leung BP, Gerthoffer WT, Unruh H & Halayko AJ.
- IRF4 Transcription Factor-Dependent CD11b+ Dendritic Cells in Human and Mouse Control Mucosal IL-17 Cytokine Responses. Immunity 2013;38(5):970-983. Schlitzer A, McGovern N, Teo P, Zelante T, Atarashi K, Low D, Ho AW, See P, Shin A, Wasan PS, Hoeffel G, Malleret B, Heiseke A, Chew S, Jardine L, Purvis HA, Hilkens CM, Tam J, Poidinger M, Stanley ER, Krug AB, Renia L, Sivasankar B, Ng LG, Collin M, Ricciardi-Castagnoli P, Honda K, Haniffa M & Ginhoux F.
- Video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) repair of subclavian artery injury following central venous catheterization: A new approach. Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery 2013 Jul;17(1):13-5. Tam J, Asmat A & Tan AK.
- Ethical Issues in Using Bronchial Biopsies for Asthma Research. Asian Bioethics Review 2012;4(3):183-197. Teoh CM, Tam J & Tran T.
- Integrin and GPCR Crosstalk in the Regulation of ASM Contraction Signaling in Asthma. J Allergy 2012;2012:341282. Teoh CM, Tam J & Tran T.
- Human tissues contain CD141(hi) cross-presenting dendritic cells with functional homology to mouse CD103(+) nonlymphoid dendritic cells. Immunity 2012;37:1–14. Haniffa M, Shin A, Bigley V, McGovern N, Teo P, See P, Wasan PS, Wang XN, Malinarich F, Malleret B, Larbi A, Tan P, Zhao H, Poidinger M, Pagan S, Cookson S, Dickinson R, Dimmick I, Jarrett RF, Renia L, Tam J, Song C, Connolly J, Chan JK, Gehring A, Bertoletti A, Collin M & Ginhoux F.
For more publications, click here.
Back to Top